How the Glucose App Works: FreeStyle LibreLink
Have you ever heard of the glucose app called FreeStyle LibreLink? It is now possible to check glucose levels using just your smartphone. This revolutionary and innovative app was developed by Abbott, which formerly manufactured glucose monitors.
This glucose app uses its own sensor, the FreeStyle Libre. Just put it on your arm and let it do the rest of the work! At all times it can check blood sugar in real time.
Well, have you ever thought about being able to take glucose readings anytime, anywhere? Incredible! Oh, and best of all, without having to take a drop of blood from your body! That’s exactly what this innovative glucose app offers.
Do you want to know more about this new method for monitoring your glucose? Check out below how to have better glucose control at your fingertips!
How Does it Work?
This glucose app works thanks to its FreeStyle Libre sensor, which is disposable and has a lasting of up to 14 days. It is worn on the upper arm and can continuously measure blood glucose levels and store them for a period of 8 hours. Remembering that after the 14-day period has ended, the sensor must be replaced.
The sensor and compatible device are primarily intended to replace blood glucose testing in diabetes self-care. In addition, it also allows you to view changes in blood glucose in graphs. This way, both the patient and the medical team can make better decisions regarding the disease and treatment.
It is worth mentioning that, for the sensor to be scanned with the application, an internet connection is not necessary. This revolutionary method can be used from 4 years of age.
Complete Glucose Information in the App
One of the great advantages of this glucose app is that you can take readings at any time. All this thanks to a cloud platform called LibreView where all glucose data from the sensor is stored securely.
This way, at any time of the day it is possible to access complete glucose reports, which can be viewed on any device connected to the internet, without the need to download it.
With this information, it is much simpler to have better monitoring and control of diabetes, in addition to allowing you to share all reports with your trusted doctor.
Real-time Blood Glucose Information
FreeStyle LibreLink also allows users to access other real-time information, such as:
- Current blood glucose reading: Both glucose readings and trend arrows are read aloud during the sensor scan.
- Trend arrow: It indicates whether the glucose level is increasing, decreasing or remaining stable.
- Glucose history: Can store data for up to 90 days.
- Notes: You can also record important information, such as insulin use, nutrition, exercise, carbohydrates, etc.
How to Use?
Now that you know a little more about this glucose app, see how to use it together with your sensor.
The first thing to do is apply the sensor. This must be applied to the upper part of the arm with an applicator. After the sensor has been applied, a small, sterile, fully flexible filament is inserted under the skin. There it will be fixed due to an adhesive layer.
Download the FreeStyle LibreLink app on your mobile device. It is available in the cell phone’s virtual store (Google Play or App Store).
Create an account to use the application.
To start using the app, scan the sensor with the reader. This process is quick and completely painless, taking just 1 second. It is worth noting that this reading provides much more information than traditional monitoring done using glucose test strips.
It is important to mention that each sensor reading provides updated glucose data, the glycemic history of the last 8 hours, as well as a trend arrow that shows whether glucose is rising, falling or changing slowly. The reader is able to read the sensor even through clothing.
Remembering that it is possible to swim, shower and perform physical exercises using the sensor, as it is water resistant.
Tips for a Better Experience Using the Glucose App
Discover some tips that can help you have a better experience using the glucose app:
- Check that the sensor is correctly applied and activated before using the app.
- Wait at least one hour after activating the sensor for it to begin providing reliable readings.
- Keep your smartphone at hand a distance of approximately 4 cm from the sensor and keep it stable during reading.
- The app allows you to customize settings according to your needs and preferences. This way, it is possible to set low or high glucose alarms, for example
- Turn on notifications for high and low glucose alarms, and for scan reminders so you don’t miss any important readings.
- Be sure to keep the FreeStyle LibreLink app updated for the latest bug fixes and improvements.
The FreeStyle LibreLink glucose app is an innovative way to monitor blood glucose levels. This makes it easier and more convenient to control diabetes, without the need to draw blood, in addition to allowing you to quickly share information with your doctor.